Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    FWIW, McDermott is one of the three members of the House who took a trip to pre-war Iraq on Saddam's dime.

    Rep. McDermott Introduces Gas Stamps Legislation to Assist Vulnerable Americans

    July 22, 2008

    Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), chairman of the Ways and Means Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, introduced legislation today to provide financial assistance to vulnerable Americans struggling to survive under crushing gasoline prices.

    The Emergency Gasoline Assistance Act (H.R. 6561) would create a program to provide $5 billion to states as a one-time grant with the money designated to provide assistance to families of modest means to purchase gasoline. This program could provide every family that is currently living below the federal poverty threshold with $500 in assistance. State governors would have the flexibility to use the money to create programs that target the specific needs of their communities.

    "Today's punishing gasoline prices are hard enough on American families with above average income, but the prices are devastating on Americans who are living at or near poverty,"? Rep. McDermott said, "and I don't intend to stand idly by and do nothing."?

    If gas prices remain unchanged, the average family will spend about $1,000 more in gasoline expenses this year, compared to 2007, and this burden is disproportionately felt by low income families, which are struggling to purchase gasoline to simply travel to work. Families in rural areas face additional challenges. The Emergency Gasoline Assistance Act would provide these families vital assistance in coping with the sudden shock of spiking gasoline prices. There are currently 7.7 million American families that are living in poverty.

    "The Labor Department reported last week that inflation had its biggest increase last month in 17 years and I think we have an obligation to our most vulnerable citizens to act to help them. The bad economic news says to me that Americans have to choose between food and fuel and that is not acceptable in the richest nation on earth."?

    Under McDermott's bill, the Social Services Block Grant (SSBG), which is an annual grant made to states to finance social programs aimed to assist vulnerable populations, like the aged, the disabled, and the impoverished, would receive a $5 billion infusion to finance the Gas Stamps program. By utilizing the SSBG, states would be able to tap into a funding stream with which they are familiar to immediate assist people with the high price of gasoline.

    "I hope Congress will act quickly on this legislation. I proposed it in the spirit of something President John F. Kennedy once said: "?If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.'"?

    http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr080722.shtm
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    They already take $ from our paychecks to hand out:
    Free food
    Free housing
    WIC
    Free babysitting
    Medicaid
    and now free gas.

    I would be beyond pissed if this passed.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    This thread doesn't deserve a comment, other than "no comment" Just wondering also, how many of you all took the stimulus checks when they were offered? I bet nobody turned them down. And I dare say that not very many of you all would turn down:

    1. WIC
    2. free housing
    3. free food
    4. babysitting or whatever there is......

    If you actually needed it.

    Me, I qualify for some but receive none.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They already take $ from our paychecks to hand out:
    Free food
    Free housing
    WIC
    Free babysitting
    Medicaid
    and now free gas.

    I would be beyond pissed if this passed. </div></div>


    When you put it like that......How do I get this stuff??? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1inStripes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They already take $ from our paychecks to hand out:
    Free food
    Free housing
    WIC
    Free babysitting
    Medicaid
    and now free gas.

    I would be beyond pissed if this passed. </div></div>


    When you put it like that......How do I get this stuff??? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>



    Have more kids.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    Well, I practice. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Food stamps? Try Gas Stamps!

    Only thing I can tell people is get a job or jobs and quit making other people feel sorry for you.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •